This online consultation is for you if:
- You are currently in a de facto relationship
- You may soon be in a de facto relationship
- You would like to form a binding financial agreement with your partner
If your de facto relationship has ended, complete the Love Law Property Consultation.
De Facto Relationship Law
Recent amendments to family law in Australia have resulted in de facto relationships giving rise to many of the same legal rights and responsibilities as marriages.
If you are living with your partner and meet the criteria set out by the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) for defining a de facto relationship, you may be surprised to hear that if you separate you may be compelled by law to pay spousal maintenance to your partner, or vice versa.
Furthermore, the car that you thought was your own (since it is registered in your name and you paid for it) may actually be partly owned by your partner because he or she played a significant role babysitting your children.
The de facto relationship criteria apply equally to both straight and gay & lesbian couples so it is certainly an area to be aware of for all couples in Australia!
To ensure that both you and your partner understand what will happen in the event of your relationship ending, Binding Financial Agreements (the de facto relationship equivalent of a Prenuptial Agreement) can be formed. Previously and more commonly known as “Cohabitation Agreements”, these can set out what property is owned by the parties jointly, separately and how this property is to be treated if the relationship ends.
Binding Financial Agreements are an effective way to reduce financial uncertainty which may bring extra happiness to your relationship.
Love Law De Facto Consultation
If you complete our free Love Law De Facto Consultation™ you will have the option to:
- For a small fee: download an automatically generated Legal Report to present to a lawyer of your choice; or
- For free: send an anonymous summary of this Legal Report to lawyers with the first to respond gaining access to your report and your contact details, so you can be assured of a passionate and fast-moving lawyer to help you frame your agreement in the best way possible and also to certify your agreement.
Why use Love Law?
The time and effort you put into Love Law legal consultations will reduce the amount of work you and your lawyer will be required to do and this will save you real money.
You can take as long as you like to complete Love Law legal questionnaires and you can even save them and return later if you have other things to do. Take this opportunity to relax a little and we will try to connect you with an Australian legal professional to give you a helping hand.